[Python-3000] pre-PEP: Enhancing buffer protocol (tp_as_buffer)

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Feb 26 21:44:01 CET 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>>Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>

> Excellent. Are we all set then?

One more question?  What is the reason for separate read/write getbuffer
calls.  What is the problem with just one getbuffer call with a flag to
indicate whether or not you want a writeable memory area?

I prefer fewer function pointers because it means that extension types
must implement fewer functions.  But, either way.

I know there is some stylistic distaste for "flags" in APIs.  One could
still keep two C-API calls for getting read-only and writeable buffers.

-Travis