[Python-3000] Thoughts on new I/O library and bytecode

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Feb 26 04:04:22 CET 2007

Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
> > Actually, writing that
> > sort of literal makes me uncomfortable too, but I'm
> > not sure what to do about that.
>
>    [1, 2, 3]
>    (1, 2, 3)

Not quite sure what your point is. My point is that
I'm thoroughly conditioned to think of anything in
quotes as immutable, and it will take a while to
get out of that habit, I suspect.

Also I'm a little worried about the pedagogical
implications of teaching people that x"..." is
a unicode string for all values of x *except* b,
whereupon it's not unicode and isn't even a string.

I'm wondering whether it would be better to have
the compiler recognise bytes("...") and special
case it. At least it *looks* like a constructor
call then, which is what b"..." would actually
be.

--
Greg