[Python-3000] Pre-PEP: Altering buffer protocol (tp_as_buffer)

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Feb 24 23:47:12 CET 2007

Hi everybody,

It was great to see so many of you at PyCon --- even if we saw each
other for too long during the PSF meeting.

After hearing Guido's keynote talk today and realizing that the alpha
release of Python 3.0 is so soon,  I decided that the right approach I
should take in pushing the array protocol/interface is to actually
propose it being used as a replacement/enhancement of the buffer
protocol for Python 3.0

I will write a PEP and the implementation but I would like to start a
discussion about what concerns or issues developers have with a proposal
like this and try to weed most of these out.

I've started a Wiki page where we can document the issues that are
raised.  Perhaps this Wiki can become the PEP within a few weeks.

The Wiki is at http://wiki.python.org/moin/ArrayInterface

The basic idea is given below (a copy of the web-page).

Thanks for any and all feedback.

Best regards,

-Travis Oliphant

This pre-PEP proposes enhancing the buffer protocol in Python 3000 to
implement the array interface (protocol).

= Overview =

The buffer protocol allows different Python types to exchange a pointer
to a sequence of internal buffers.  This functionality is
'''extremely''' useful for sharing large segments of memory between
different high-level objects, but it's too limited and has issues.

   1. There is the little used "sequence-of-segments" option.
   2. There is no way for a consumer to tell the protocol-exporting
object it is "finished" with its view of the memory and therefore no way
for the object to be sure that it can reallocate the pointer to the
memory that it owns (the array object reallocating its memory after
sharing it with the buffer object led to the infamous buffer-object
problem).
   3. Memory is just a pointer. There is no way to describe what's "in"
the memory (float, int, C-structure, etc.)
   4. There is no shape information provided for the memory.  But,
several array-like Python types could make use of a standard way to
describe the shape of the memory (!wxPython, GTK, CVXOPT, !PyVox, Audio
and Video Libraries, ctypes, !NumPy)

= Proposal =

   1. Replace the buffer protocol that allows sharing of a single
pointer to memory
   2. Have the protocol define a way to describe what's in the memory
location (this should unify what is done now in struct, array, ctypes,
and NumPy)
   3. Have the protocol be able to share information about shape (and
striding if any)
   4. Allow exporting objects to define some function that should be
called when the consumer object is "done" with the view.

= Idea =

All that is needed is to create a Python "memory_view" object that can
contain all the information needed and be returned when the buffer
protocol is called --- when it is garbage-collected, the
"bp_release_view" function is called on the exporting object.

This "memory_view" is essentially the old Numeric C-structure (including
the fact that the data-format is described by another C-structure).

This object is what the buffer protocol should return.