[Python-3000] Thoughts on new I/O library and bytecode

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 19:11:17 CET 2007

Are bytes supposed to be mutable?

Josiah:
> even be changed to *take* a bytes object as the destination buffer

Guido:
> This already works -- bytes support the buffer API.

but later:

> I think you misunderstood the plans for bytes. The plan is for the
> performance with bytes to scream, in part because they are immutable
> so one would occasionally save copying a buffer an extra time.

Or did you mean that (C code only?) could pass a newly constructed
bytes object to be filled in?

Josiah mentioned several dropped methods (append, extend, remove, pop)
that don't really make sense with an immutable.  Was this just a
set-difference observation, or are those methods you actually need on
a bytes type?

-jJ