[Python-3000] Does bytes() need to support bytes(<str>, <encoding>)?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 28 17:21:50 CEST 2007

On 8/28/07, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2007, at 11:20 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> > But I don't see the point of defaulting to raw-unicode-escape --
> > what's the use case for that? I think you should just explicitly say
> > s.encode('raw-unicode-escape') where you need that. Any reason you
> > can't?
>
> Nope.  So what would bytes(s) do?

Raise TypeError (when s is a str). The argument to bytes() must be
either an int (then it creates a zero-filled bytes bytes array of that
length) or an iterable of ints (then it creates a bytes array
initialized with those ints -- if any int is out of range, an
exception is raised, and also if any value is not an int).