[Python-3000] Removing email package until it's fixed

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 00:33:16 CEST 2007

On 25/08/07, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On 8/25/07, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> > On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > > FYI, I'm removing the email package from the py3k branch for now.
> > > If/when Barry has a working version we'll add it back. Given that it's
> > > so close to the release I'd rather release without the email package
> > > than with a broken one. If Barry finishes it after the a1 release,
> > > people who need it can always download his version directly.
> >
> > Alternately, we could move toward separate libraries for such
> > components; this allows separate packages to have separate
> > maintenance cycles, and makes it easier for applications to pick up
> > bug fixes.
>
> Are you suggesting of just leaving email out of the core then and just
> have people download it as necessary?  Or just having it developed
> externally and thus have its own release schedule, but then pull in
> the latest stable release when we do a new Python release?

FWIW, I'm very much against moving email out of the core. This has
been discussed a number of times before, and as far as I am aware, no
conclusion reached. However, the "batteries included" approach of
Python is a huge benefit for me. Every time I have to endure writing
Perl, I find some module that I don't have available as standard. I
can download it, sure, but I can't *rely* on it.

No matter how good eggs and/or PyPI get, please let's keep the
standard library with the "batteries included" philosophy.

(Apologies if removing email permanently was never the intention - you
just touched a nerve there!)

Paul.