[Python-3000] Removing simple slicing

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Fri Aug 24 19:39:54 CEST 2007

> On 8/24/07, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:
> > If nobody cares, I will be checking these patches into the trunk this
> > weekend (after updating them), and then update and check in the rest of
> the
> > p3yk-noslice branch into the py3k branch.
>
> In the trunk? I'm concerned that that might make it (ever so slightly)
> incompatible with 2.5, and we're trying to make it as easy as possible
> to migrate to 2.6. Or perhaps you're just proposing to change the
> standard builtin types to always use the extended API, without
> removing the possibility of user types (either in C or in Python)
> using the simple API, at least in 2.6?

The changes I uploaded only implement (and in some cases, fix some bugs in)
extended slicing support in various builtin types. None of the API changes
would be backported (although 2.6 in py3k-warning-mode should obviously tell
people to not define __getslice__, and instead accept slice objects in
__getitem__. Perhaps even when not in py3k-warnings-mode.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!