[Python-3000] Py3k-buffer branch merged back to py3k branch

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Sun Aug 19 03:18:29 CEST 2007

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Left to do:
>
> 1) Finish the MemoryViewObject (getitem/setitem needs work).
> 2) Finish the struct module changes (I've started, but have not checked
> 	the changes in).
> 3) Add tests
>
> Possible problems:
>
> It seems that whenever a PyExc_BufferError is raised, problems (like
> segfaults) occur.  I tried to add a new error object by copying how
> Python did it for other errors, but it's likely that I didn't do it right.
>
> I will have email contact for a few days (until Tuesday) but will not
> have much time to work.

I was wondering what the memoryview is doing so I tried it with a string:

./python -c "memoryview('test')"
Segmentation fault

Ooops! gdb says this about the error:

[Switching to Thread -1210415424 (LWP 14436)]
0x080f77a0 in PyErr_SetObject (exception=0x81962c0, value=0xb7cee3a8) at
Python/errors.c:55
55              if (exception != NULL &&

Bug report:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=1777057&group_id=5470

Christian