[Python-3000] Immutable bytes type and dbm modules

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 7 05:13:43 CEST 2007

> Personally, I still think that converting to the latin-1 encoding is
> probably just as good for this particular use case. So perhaps I don't
> understand the use case(s?) correctly.

No, it rather means that this solution didn't occur to me. It's a bit
expensive, since every access (getitem or setitem) will cause a
recoding, if the parameters are required to be bytes - but so would any
other solution that you can accept (i.e. use str8, use a separate
frozenbytes) - they all require that you copy the key parameter in
setitem/getitem.

So this sounds better than using str8.

Regards,
Martin