[Python-3000] More PEP 3101 changes incoming

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Aug 5 03:13:06 CEST 2007

Ron Adam wrote:
> Which would result in a first column that right aligns, a second column
> that centers unless the value is longer than 100, in which case it right
> align, and cuts the end, and a third column that left aligns, but cuts off
> the right if it's over 15.

All this talk about cutting things off worries me. In the
case of numbers at least, if you can't afford to expand the
column width, normally the right thing to do is *not* to cut
them off, but replace them with **** or some other thing that
stands out.

This suggests that the formatting and field width options may
not be as easily separable as we would like.

--
Greg