[Python-3000] string module trimming

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 19:27:44 CEST 2007

On 4/17/07, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Apr 17, 2007, at 5:03 AM, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>
> >  * maketrans remains (also implemented in stropmodule.c).  It is
> > used 11 times.
> >  * ascii_letters is used 17 times
> >  * ascii_lowercase is used 2 times
> >  * digits is used 15 times
> >  * hexdigits is used 2 times
> >  * letters is used 9 times
> >  * whitespace is used 4 times
>
> You're not planning on removing these too are you?

I don't have any plans, just considering options.  Move them
somewhere?  Perhaps, trim the ones that are unused.  In a unicode
world, I'm not sure how much some of these make sense.  letters stands
out more than others.  I don't know enough about unicode to know if
digits or whitespace can be diff.

The Template class is in string, which seems pretty appropriate.
Although with the naming re-org that will be coming, should string be
renamed to stringlib (or whatever)?

What would you like to see for things like maketrans, capwords, etc?