[Python-3000] Pre-PEP: Easy Text File Decoding

Michael Chermside mcherm at mcherm.com
Mon Sep 11 18:44:47 CEST 2006

Paul Prescod writes:
     [... Pre-PEP proposal ...]

Quick thoughts:

  * I like it. Good work.
  * I agree with Guido: "open" is the right spelling for this.
  * I agree with Paul: mandatory specification is the way to go.
10,000 different blog entries, tutorials, and cookbook recipies can
recomend using "guess" if you don't know what you're doing. Or they
can all recomend using "site". Or they can all recomend using "utf-8".
I'm not sure what they'll all recomend, and that's enough reason for
me to require the user to say. If we later decide that one is an
acceptable default, we could make it optional in release 3.1, 3.2, or
3.3... but if we make it optional from the start then it can never
become required.

Other thoughts after reading everyone else's replies:

  * Guessing. Hmm. Broad topic. If the option for guessing were
spelled "guess" (rather than, say "autodetect") then I would have been
scared off from using it in "production code" but I would still feel
free to use in quick-and-dirty scripting. On the other hand, I'm not
sure I'm a good "typical programmer". Fortunately, your PEP works fine
whether or not "guess" is allowed, so I can support your PEP without
having to commit on the idea of having a "guess" option.

-- Michael Chermside