[Python-3000] locale-aware strings ?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 5 22:48:27 CEST 2006

I have no desire to continue this discussion in every detail. I
believe we've both made our point, eloquently enough. The designers of
the I/O library will have to come up with the specific rules for
deciding on the default encoding. The only thing I'm saying is that
hardcoding the default encoding in the language standard (like we did
for str<-->unicode in 2.0) would be a mistake. I'm trusting that
building the more basic facilities (such as being able to pass an
explicit encoding to open()) first will enable us to experiment with
different ways of determining a default encoding. That makes more
sense to me than trying to settle this argument by raising our voices.
(And yes, I am building in the possibility that I'm wrong. But
he-said-she-said won't convince me; only actual usage experience.)

--Guido