[Python-3000] Practical uses of stackless technology

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Mon Oct 23 14:21:36 CEST 2006

Hi stackless-dev!

As some of you might know, the PyPy project is aiming at including many
of stackless' features into its Python interpreter. Most of them are now
implemented and we're now working on the report we are writing for the
EU about this part of our work.

Being technical hacker types, we can cope with describing the ins and
outs of how our code works, but are less sure on the motivations for
stackless-style technologies as used in real-world applications :)
(especially since this part of PyPy is not used for any applications
yet).

So this is where we come to you, the existing stackless community: why
are you interested in stackless? What benefits does it bring to you and
your business? (the EU always likes to hear that businesses are using
things :)

As well as the more general stackless ideas (tasklets, channels, etc) we
are interested in hearing about any use people are making of the tasklet
pickling features.

It would be wonderful if we could get some nice quotable, attributable
snippets, but general ideas would also be very welcome.

Cheers and thanks,

mwh & Carl Friedrich Bolz