[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Oct 22 16:29:09 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing schrieb:
>> Given that it is *generated* code, I find that very
>> reasonable. Just fix the generator once, and the
>> warnings will go away.
>
> I don't accept that the code generator needs to be
> "fixed", because I don't regard it as broken. The
> code it generates is perfectly correct.

If that is so, just ignore the warnings. If the fact
that warnings are issued constitutes a problem for you,
one way to solve the problem is to make the warnings
go away.

>> The user shouldn't have to specify this, because
>> a) it is tedious and error-prone to do so for each
>>    source file, and
>> b) you can't know in a static way what the target
>>    directory is, because the platform name goes
>>    into the target name.
>
> I'm not sure what your point is here. I don't see
> why this can't be done under a Make-like system.
> The user just needs a way to say "My package depends
> on these .py files". The system can still be left to
> figure out where they need to go and whether they need
> updating.

I'm wondering what a make-like system would look
in this case. Would I write

$(TARGETDIR)/foo/bar.py: foo/bar.py
    cp foo/bar.py $(TARGETDIR)/foo/bar.py

once for each source file? That would be tedious.
What would I write instead, and how could I then
override the actual command that is being run
(cp(1) in this case).

If you look at Python's "make install" rule, you
might agree that "install" is not something that
plain old make is very good at.

Regards,
Martin