[Python-3000] Cheeseshop

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 11:59:39 CEST 2006

On 10/17/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> How do you pronounce PyPI, btw? Is it "pie-pie" or
> "pie-pee-eye"? (And don't tell me it's actually
> pronounced "pippy" -- acronyms with non-obvious
> pronunciations are a minor peeve of mine. People
> are going to pronounce it the way they think it
> looks, however much you try to educate them
> otherwise, so it would be better to spell it the
> way you want it pronounced in the first place.)

Pie-pee. And PyPy is pie-pie. So to me, the two never really clashed at all.

Personally, I find "cheeseshop" a bit too cute - if I was talking to
someone about Python, I'd hesitate before mentioning the name. Given
the choice, I'd go back to PyPI, but either way, there should only be
one name, used everywhere.

On the "one place for everything" front, we're getting there - it's
far easier these days to put new packages onto the cheeseshop[1] with
the new distutils upload stuff. But for the "major" packages (things
like pywin32, PIL, numpy, twisted, pygame...) I wouldn't automatically
go to the cheeseshop for them. Once the canonical download location
for the big stuff is the cheeseshop, that's when the balance will have
tipped (IMHO). I don't know how likely that is to happen in practice,
though...

Paul.

[1] In the course of this message, I've also discovered another reason
I don't like "cheeseshop" - it's a pain to type... :-)