[Python-3000] Cheeseshop

Talin talin at acm.org
Tue Oct 17 04:20:28 CEST 2006

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Talin wrote:
>> Agreed - I don't have any problems with Cheeseshop as it exists today.
>
> I think a good search feature is essential -- a big code repository
> is only as useful to the degree that its contents are accessible.
>
> I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but i think the site could
> really use improved search and navigation.  It used to have a search
> form that was (in my opinion) broken enough to be misleading, and now
> the search form appears to be gone.  The Google-based form feels like
> a stopgap measure rather than a proper search.
>
> Right now, the site doesn't provide an obvious, direct way to get
> to a package *even if you know the exact name of the package*.

I see. Maybe I have no problem because I never actually use the *web*
interface to Cheeseshop. I just say "easy_install mercurial" or
whatever, and everything just works - unless of course, the package you
are trying to install is wxwidgets or psycopg2 or openldap, or any
others of a bunch I could name, in which case the download works fine by
the installation just fails. :(

- Talin