[Python-3000] Cheeseshop

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Oct 17 03:06:23 CEST 2006

On 10/16/06, Ka-Ping Yee <python at zesty.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Talin wrote:
> > Agreed - I don't have any problems with Cheeseshop as it exists today.
>
> I think a good search feature is essential -- a big code repository
> is only as useful to the degree that its contents are accessible.
>
> I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but i think the site could
> really use improved search and navigation.  It used to have a search
> form that was (in my opinion) broken enough to be misleading, and now
> the search form appears to be gone.  The Google-based form feels like
> a stopgap measure rather than a proper search.

It should be easy enough to fix search these days, given that SQLite
comes with a full text search engine now.

http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=FtsOne

> Right now, the site doesn't provide an obvious, direct way to get
> to a package *even if you know the exact name of the package*.

URL hacking ;) Unfortunately you also need to know the exact case of
the package name, which can often be confusing.. e.g. SQLAlchemy or
sqlalchemy? We should enforce uniqueness on the lowercase package
name, and allow that everywhere (but preserve case for display).

> By the way, is it called Cheeseshop, PyPI, or "Package Index", and
> is the URL http://python.org/pypi, http://cheeseshop.python.org/,
> or http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi?  Could we have OOWTDI?

According to distutils (and setuptools) it's still:

DEFAULT_REPOSITORY = 'http://www.python.org/pypi'

However I think that many (most?) links on the web have started to
migrate to http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi

-bob