[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Mon Oct 16 22:10:29 CEST 2006

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> The only realistic chance for that to happen is to make the distutils
> less arcane and better.

I've been staying out of the discussion, but I'll toss in a hearty +1 in
support of making distutils "less arcane and better".

In my own experience, I have found that with the packages I usually end
up having to ship (source files with related data), sdist is the only
distutils command that gets it right.  Any of the bdist commands bork
the Windows (.msi) Python installation (data files go into site-packages,
source goes into python binary path), and I've been too afraid to try
any of the linux bdist options (would require a tedious backup and
restore of a VM).

Because of the frustration that is distutils, I've considered dropping
distutils and switching to make + Makefile for all but my py2exe needs,
and even not supplying setup.py with any distribution.

 - Josiah