[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Oct 16 02:12:10 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> Even then easy_install support won't be univeral. I still run into
> packages that don't use distutils, mostly stuff that is or was part  of
> a larger C code base.

However, at least there would be One Obvious Way for
those that do want to use a standard build system.

Something that might help is if there were a way
for distutils to use something external, such as a
Makefile-based build process, as a component of the
overall build process. Currently distutils likes
to be in charge of everthing, which can be
inconvenient.

How well would setuptools or zc.build handle this
sort of thing?

--
Greg