[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

Antoine solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Oct 13 10:26:53 CEST 2006

> The standard library is not about easeness of installation. It is about
> having
> a consistent fixed codebase to work with. I don't want to go Perl/CPAN,
> where you have 3-4 alternatives to do thing A which will never
> interoperate
> with whatever you chose among the 3-4 alternatives to do thing B.

Currently in Python:
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.dom.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.dom.minidom.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.sax.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.parsers.expat.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xml.etree.ElementTree.html

The problem of "consistent fixed codebase" is that standards get higher,
so eventually those old stable modules lose popularity in favor of newer,
better modules.

Therefore, you have to obsolete old stuff if you want there to be only One
Obvious Way To Do It.