[Python-3000] Proposal: No more standard library additions

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Oct 13 09:30:24 CEST 2006

On Friday, October 13, 2006, at 08:26AM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:

>Talin wrote:
>
>> Seriously, though, I am not proposing that there never be additions
>> to the standard library -- instead, I simply want 'easy_install' to
>> work 100% of the time, so that there's much less reason to add
>> something to the standard library.
>
>-10000000.
>
>The standard library is not about easeness of installation. It is about having
>a consistent fixed codebase to work with. I don't want to go Perl/CPAN,
>where you have 3-4 alternatives to do thing A which will never interoperate
>with whatever you chose among the 3-4 alternatives to do thing B. I don't want
>to stop being able to read and fix programs because they use 15 libraries I
>never heard of, with obscure APIs and terrible naming conventions.
>
>Let us keep our batteries, please.

An alternative to a large standard library is a smaller one plus a set of 3th-party libraries that are advertised as being good libraries. That way "we" can point people that look for a good cross-platform GUI library to wxPython, without needing to ship it as part of the standard library (to use one example).

Ronald