[Python-3000] Special methods and interface-based type system

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Thu Nov 23 19:17:11 CET 2006

> > I don't know anything by CLOS.
>
> I'll drop off a copy of the book on Monday.  Lord knows we have
> zillions of extra copies floating around PARC.

I'll still drop off a copy (of Common Lisp the Language, version 2),
but there's no need to wait.  It's on the Web at
http://www.supelec.fr/docs/cltl/clm/node260.html.  See in particular
the "change-class" operation at
http://www.supelec.fr/docs/cltl/clm/node305.html.

I think I'm still confused (happens a lot :-) about our method
namespace discussion.  It seems to me that Python's method namespaces
work pretty much the same way that CLOS's do, already.  That is, you
don't "clobber" an existing method in a base class when you define a
new method by the same name in a derived class; you just mask it.  The
base class' method is still there, and can still be called explicitly.

Bill