[Python-3000] Wild idea: Deferred Evaluation & Implicit Lambda

Gary Poster gary at zope.com
Wed May 31 09:08:34 CEST 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 9:52 AM, Josiah Carlson wrote:

> Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
>> You're missing a crucial point: The whole idea of 'promise', as I
>> understand it, is that it works with functions that aren't
>> expecting a
>> callable.
>
> So you use the 9-line promise that Alex posted.

I think a promise is an excellent use case.

Proxies, such as used by the solution Alex proposed, are very
powerful, but can be very surprising.  Zope has years of experience
with a variety of them.  A language solution that let the end result
of a promise not be proxied would be much better than a proxy-based
solution, at least if our experience with Python 2.x is any guide.

Gary