[Python-3000] PEP 3102 feedback

Talin talin at acm.org
Wed May 24 08:57:20 CEST 2006

Well, c.l.p was strangely quiet in response to my posting PEP 3102 a few
days ago. Only two comments, one of a general "ick" variety that seems
mainly based on personal bias, and another which likes the idea but
votes a -1 on the 'naked star' syntax.

So in other words, nothing has really changed - most people seem to like
the idea of keyword-only arguments, but find the 'required keyword
arguments' syntax confusing. (I haven't found many people who were in
favor of it, however Guido says that's the form that he prefers.)

A few people have complained about keyword-only arguments with no
defaults, but my feeling is that these concerns are based on a mistaken
understanding of how keyword arguments work. (Many people seem to
conflate keyword arguments and default argument values, because they
both use '=' and they both are required to come after positional arguments.)

What's the next step after this? One thing that's missing is a sample
implementation. Unfortunately, its not quite as simple as hacking lambda
or ASTs, this one affects code generation (AFAICT) and is not something
I feel confident to do myself.

(I'm also continuing to work on 3101, expect a new rev soon.)

-- Talin