[Python-3000] Requirements for a standard GUI library

Johan Dahlin jdahlin at async.com.br
Fri May 12 22:27:55 CEST 2006

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le jeudi 11 mai 2006 à 10:00 -0600, Travis E. Oliphant a écrit :
>> That sounds reasonable.   As I said before, I like the idea of PyGUI.
>> My main consternation is wxWindows.  I'm not a big fan of how wxPython
>> builds on top of wxWindows which builds on top of GTK which itself
>> builds on GDI which is itself a cross-platform layer on top of X11.
>
> You are mixing up a lot of things.
> AFAIK there is nothing named GDI in or under GTK. GDI is the drawing
> layer in Microsoft Windows.
> There is something named GDK which is a general non-graphical library to
> complement the C stdlib, not a "cross-platform layer on top of X11".

You're mixing up things too, you meant glib instead of GDK.
And GDK is a cross-platform layer originally designed to be very similar to
the Xlib API. It's been ported to Win32, Linux framebuffer, Cocoa and DirectFB.

> As if the layers of indirection were visible to the developer?
> How do you think less layers would have improved your developer
> experience?

More importantly, how native does the application feel? Does it integrate
with the rest of the desktop or does it live in it's own world?

Johan