[Python-3000] Requirements for a standard GUI library

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Thu May 11 18:00:24 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
>> The only thing I would wish different is to get rid of the PyGTK
>> dependency.   I think PyGUI should be a wrapper directly on top of GNOME
>
> Perhaps you have Gnome and Gtk confused? Gnome is the
> desktop, Gtk is the UI library that Gnome applications
> use.

No, I understand the difference.  I was referring to the gnomeui
libraries which have a series of standard dialog boxes and higher-level
widgets that give the gnome desktop it's look-and-feel.   I realize that
gtk also has standard dialog boxes.

See, for example,  http://freshmeat.net/projects/libgnomeui/

>> In short, I don't like the chaining effect of wrapper on top of wrapper.
>>  I want to make the connection to platform libraries as simple as
>> possible.
>
> So do I, but I'm concentrating on getting the API right
> first. Optimisations such as reducing the number of wrapper
> layers can come later.

That sounds reasonable.   As I said before, I like the idea of PyGUI.
My main consternation is wxWindows.  I'm not a big fan of how wxPython
builds on top of wxWindows which builds on top of GTK which itself
builds on GDI which is itself a cross-platform layer on top of X11.
There are way too many layers of indirection there for my tastes.   As a
result, my (limited) experience with wxWindows on Linux has not been
pleasant.

Keep up the great work...

-Travis