[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Stefan Rank stefan.rank at ofai.at
Tue May 2 14:20:44 CEST 2006

on 02.05.2006 11:04 Giovanni Bajo said the following:
> Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
>>> In wxWidgets, the GUI system is able to calculate the minimal size
>>> needed by each and any widget, and to prevent the user from resizing
>>> the window below the calculated minimal size. =
>> I'm not sure that this is effectively possible in all cases, but the
>> "set_bounds" method on Container could probably be extended to
>> optionally do this.
>
> It has to be automatic. The *default* way to construct a widget must be so that
> (if it's resizeable) ...

I agree that a limit on minimal size needs to be automatic, but the ()
tripped a (recently renewed) nerve of mine about a design error that
applies to a lot of gui toolkits out there.
So, in case a standard gui for python might be
chosen/implemented/wrapped, here is a

<rant>
There is absolutely no sensible reason at all, for a gui frame to be of
a fixed size!
None.
More precisely: the concept of a maximum size (except screen limits) for
a frame is asking for user dissatisfaction.
'Users aller Länder, vereinigt euch!' Clamour for resizability.
</rant>

sorry