[Python-3000] PyGUI in Py3K stdlib, more details

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Mon May 1 23:10:31 CEST 2006

> since this is the Py3K list, why hurry ?

Because Guido seems to be hurrying.  All those pitchforks outside his
office, I suppose.

> (for the record, I'd prefer a conceptual mix of HTML, PyGUI, WinForms,
> and WCK, plus Tkinter's binding model and Canvas.  more about this some
> other day.)

Please hurry :-).  I looked at your work when I was thinking about this.

The Tk canvas widget is a nice one, perhaps we should use its model.
I've heard it was inspired by Joel Bartlett's work on ezd (see
http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/Compaq-DEC/WRL-91-6.pdf).

The ezd work is very nice, recommended reading.  In fact, when I
started thinking about a Py3K toolkit, I was thinking in terms of an
all-Python solution implemented on top of ezd-style canvases built on
top of pycairo.  You'd still need platform-specific frobs for the Mac
menubar and the Windows taskbar, etc., though.  When I looked at PyGUI
it seemed close enough to "right" to pick.  I'm still not quite sure
what the PyGUI "canvas" is; it might be possible to have one that
corresponds to a graphical object in the ezd model.

The GTK+ canvas widget is in turn based on the Tk canvas and ezd,
too.

http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/freenix/full_papers/quintero/quintero_html/node3.html).

Bill