[Python-3000] Automatically invoking str() in str.join()

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Mon May 1 12:41:29 CEST 2006

On 5/1/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

> Thomas Wouters wrote:
>
> > > join()
> > >
> > > it's time to make this a builtin.  the "it's the separator that's
> doing
> > > the
> > > joining" idea is silly and unintuitive, and should be fixed.
> >

> > I disagree, and I believe that would be a big mistake to change it.
>
> big mistake?

Yes.

can anyone point to one other example where "call method on
> literal" is used in Python ?

It doesn't matter. Either case is confusing, one way or another, as Tim has
already argued. Changing it would be a big mistake. If you want me to come
with more comprehensive arguments (other than what Tim already covered),
please come with more comprehensive arguments *for* the change, too.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!