[Python-3000] C API changes? [Was: Python 3000 Process]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 22 09:23:58 CET 2006

Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2006 at 08:52:34PM -0800, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>> I thought about re-organizing all the methods to try to group them
>> a bit better.  Then I realized the beneift is likely far too small
>> for the larger pain of having to maintain 2 tables of methods (one
>> for 2.x one for 3.x).
>
> Maybe C99 designated initializers could solve that problem (assuming
> we are going to require a C99 compiler).

For that to work, you would have to compile your 2.x extension with
a C99 compiler, as well - otherwise, you still have two tables in your
extension.

Still, I think that Python 3 should use designated initializers in its
own code base, which implies that it requires a C99 compiler (atleast
wrt. to that aspect of the language).

Regards,
Martin