[Python-3000] PEP 3101 update

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Jun 19 22:59:12 CEST 2006

Hi Talin,

Here's how I see it.

The probability of this PEP being accepted doesn't really depend on
whether that particular proposed feature is present. Given all
possible proposed features, it's probably better to err on the side of
exclusion -- a PEP like this is more likely to be rejected due to
excessive baggage than due to lack of functionality, as long as it
covers all the functionality it's replacing. So, I'm with you: try to
get the PEP implemented and accepted before adding too many new
features. Once there's an accepted framework, it's easier to add
features.

(Perhaps there's one use for this particular proposed feature; since
it requires adding yet another parameter to certain formatting
functions, it would be a good test for the generality of the API.
Personally, I wonder if at some point we'll want to pass an arbitrary
argument list, and/or keyword args? That would be a more useful
feature to add to consider for the PEP than a specific decimal
alignment, since it is a feature in support of extensibility.)

--Guido