[Python-3000] iostack, continued

tomer filiba tomerfiliba at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 18:54:29 CEST 2006

> I believe what he meant was that property change should not affect the state of
> anything but the *Python*'s object.

for reference, in sock2 i use properties to change the socket
options of sockets.

instead of doing
if not s.getsockopt(SOL_SOCK, SOCK_REBINDADDR):
    s.setsockopt(SOL_SOCK, SOCK_REBINDADDR, 1)

you can just do
if not s.rebind_addr:
    s.rebind_addr = True

which is much easier (both to maintain and read). these property-
options also take care of platform dependent options (like the
linger struct, which is different between winsock and bsd sockets)

i can't speak for Guido now, but at first, when i proposed this
options-via-properties mechanism, Guido was in favor. he agreed
setsockopt is a highly non-pythonic way of doing things.

besides, the context is different. a path object is not a stream
object. they stand for different things. so you can't generalize
like that -- the decision must be made on a per-case basis

another key issue to consider here is convenience. it's much
more convenient to use .position than .seek and tell. for example:

original_pos = f.position
try:
    ... do something with f
except IOError:
    f.position = original_pos

seek and tell are much more cumbersome. they will remain there,
of course, if only for backwards compatibility.

-tomer