[Python-3000] Parameter types and multiple method dispatch

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Jul 21 03:32:50 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Guido's original proposal called for __typecheck__(arg, type) to
> be called on each argument that has a type declaration, with the result
> replacing the argument value.
>
> Given this definition for the semantics, none of the issues you raised are
> relevant.

I think some of it is still relevant, such as the concern
about different parts of the same program fighting over
the interpretation of the type annotations.

I'm rather leery about the whole thing myself because of
that. The idea of adding something in such a fundamental
and intrusive way to the language when we don't even
have a clear idea of what we're going to use it for
smells very bad to me.

I get the feeling that if anyone other than Guido
suggested doing any such thing, he would tell them in
no uncertain terms to go away and come back when they
had a complete and concrete proposal...

--
Greg