[Python-3000] Lazy strings (was Re: Py3k release schedule worries)

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Sun Dec 31 00:24:15 CET 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 12/19/06, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
>> (I haven't abandoned this, but it hasn't been a top priority;
>> partially because Larry Hastings work on smarter concatenation has
>> showed that "lazy evaluation" can work in today's Python, and
>> partially due to the schedule/discussion issues you write about.)
> Now's the time for that work to come out of the closet.
At last, I can take a crack at this, now that Christmas is over.  Just
double-checking:

   1. I know you want it for what are currently "unicode strings"
      (Objects/unicodeobject.c).  Do you /also/ want it for single-byte
      strings (Objects/stringobject.c)?
   2. I should generate my diffs against
      http://svn.python.org/projects/python/branches/p3yk ?

Cheers,