[Python-3000] versionadded/versionchanged in doc

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Dec 19 23:01:46 CET 2006

On 12/19/06, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> "Neal Norwitz" <nnorwitz at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ee2a432c0612191303n100aba92v8a07535daa3da0d at mail.gmail.com...
> > What do we want to do with the current versionadded/versionchanged
> > markups in the doc for 3k?  Should we remove all references to 1.x
> > changes?  all 2.x changes?  Keep them?  all of them?
> >
> > Given we are trying to clean things up, I think I'd prefer to remove
> > all the old references to 1.x/2.x changes.  I'm not sure how to handle
> > any of the 3.x changes.  I expect those will be in a separate porting
> > doc or some such.  So my first thought is that it would be nice to
> > have all the doc be clean.
>
> I am pretty sure that a large majority of people learning Python for the
> first time with Python 3 would prefer this.  If Python3 is as successful as
> we might hope, new Pythoneers will become the majority.

Realistically, people won't be starting to learn 3.x until it's widely
accepted, since most people learn so that they can use other code
that's around. A bit of a chicken/egg problem, admittedly, but we'll
address that by providing a good 2->3 refactoring tool and doing
parallel development of 2.6/7 and 3.0/1/2.

> >  My only concern is that it might be confusing for people.
>
> Perhaps for some, but I would expect that docs cluttered with 'New/changed
> in 3.0' to be just as confusing for others.  Perhaps we need two versions
> of the docs: a Python x.y set and a Python forever set.

Once 3.0 is mainstream we can drop all the "added in 3.0/1/2"
annotations but keep the ones for 3.3 and beyond.