[Python-3000] Py3k release schedule worries

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Dec 19 02:54:56 CET 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:
> I think another big reason, though, is people are taking the view of
> Py3k really far in terms of it being a clean slate.  I have always viewd
> Python 3.0 as Python 2.x cleaned up.  That leaves Python 3.whatever for
> new additions.  But I think a lot of people have skipped past the goal
> of getting a cleaned-up Python 3.0 and made that the whiz-bang version.

I think the reason for this is that we've been given
the impression that the 2.x -> 3.0 transition is the
one and only chance we'll get in our lifetimes for
backward-incompatible changes -- so if we don't get
them in now, we never will.

But maybe this is the wrong impression. If it's
going to be allowable to incorprorate more backward
incompatible features as the 3.x series progresses,
it would be good to make that clear to everyone.
I'm sure it would do a lot to reduce the amount of
radical stuff being suggested for 3.0.

--
Greg