[Python-3000] Modules with Dual Python/C Implementations

Blake Winton bwinton at latte.ca
Mon Dec 11 23:06:07 CET 2006

Brett Cannon wrote:
> This has been argued about before.  It has been suggested we actually
> ditch the C version since we only want to maintain one version and the
> Python version can be used by alternative Python implementations.
>
> This probably needs to be covered in a PEP that covers a stdlib
> reorg/renaming.

If someone does that, I'ld like to suggest removing re.match, because
the match/search distinction seems to be one of the things that trips
newbies up on a fairly regular basis (and tripped me up just a few weeks
ago after years of using Python), and re.match( pat ) is equivalent to:
re.search( "^" + pat )
(or could hopefully be made equivalent).

Later,
Blake.