[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] What should the focus for 2.6 be?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 24 02:03:38 CEST 2006

"Josiah Carlson" <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote in message
news:20060823125951.1A60.JCARLSON at uci.edu...
> The intent of my post was to say that all of us want Py3k to succeed,

I should hope that we all do.

> but I believe that in order for it to succeed that breakage from the 2.x
> series should be gradual, in a similar way to how 2.x -> 2.x+1 breakage
> has been gradual.

Given that the rate of intentional breakage in the core language (including
builtins) has been very minimal, this would take a couple of decades, which
to my mind would be a failure.

> I believe we agree on this basic point

To the contrary, you seem to have a basic disagreement with the plan to
make all the core language changes at once and to clear the decks of old
baggage so we can move forward with a learner language that is a bit easier
to learn and remember.

> according to your talk and your posts here, you want Py3k alpha
> in the next year or two, while I'm thinking that Py3k alpha should come
> somewhere after 2.6 and probably 2.7, maybe even after 2.8 or 2.9,

Whereas I wish it were already out and would be delighted to see it early
next year.  Some of the changes have already been put off for at least five
years and, to me, are overdue.

Terry Jan Reedy