[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] What should the focus for 2.6 be?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 22 05:19:30 CEST 2006

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote in message
news:ca471dc20608211736h5f8903cctc92c60c5bd6e538e at mail.gmail.com...

> On 8/21/06, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
>>  When
>> everyone has to rewrite their code, they are going to ask, "Why don't I
>> just stick with the maintenance 2.x? It's going to be maintained for a
>> few more years yet, and I don't need to rewrite all of my disk IO,
>> strings in dictionary code, etc.  I will be right along with them

Many apps never will be converted, just as there are still things running
under 1.5 and all versions since.  The changeover to writing new stuff in
3.x will be at least somewhat gradual, as such things always are, and that
is a good thing, lest the issue tracker be flooded with more items than can
be dealt with.

> Have you watched the video of my Py3k talk?
> Search for it on Google Video

Searching Guido Python returns
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6459339159268485356
It pretty well summarizes the results of discussion here up to a month ago.

Terry Jan Reedy