[Python-3000] Fwd: Conventions for annotation consumers

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 18:41:38 CEST 2006

On 8/16/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 10:09 AM 8/16/2006 -0500, Collin Winter wrote:
> >On 8/15/06, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> >>Personally, I thought Guido's original proposal for function annotations,
> >>which included a __typecheck__ operator that was replaceable on a
> >>per-module basis (and defaulted to a no-op), was the perfect thing --
> >>neither too much semantics nor too-little.  I'd like to have it back,
> >>please.  :)
> >
> >I'd be perfectly happy to go back to talking about "type annotations",
> >rather than the more general "function annotations", especially since
> >most of the discussion thus far has been about how to multiple things
> >with annotations at the same time. Restricting annotations to type
> >information would be fine by me.
>
> Who said anything about restricting annotations to type information?  I
> just said I liked Guido's original proposal better -- because it doesn't
> restrict a darned thing, and makes it clear that the semantics are up to you.
>
> The annotations of course should still be exposed as a function attribute.

Sorry, I meant "restrict" as in having it stated that the annotations
are for typechecking, rather than attempting to support a dozen
different uses simultaneously. The annotations would still be
free-form, with the semantics up to whoever's implementing the
__typecheck__ function, and Python itself wouldn't take any steps to
enforce what can or can't go in the annotations.

Is this more along the lines of what you meant?

Collin Winter