[Python-3000] Draft pre-PEP: function annotations

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Mon Aug 14 23:18:07 CEST 2006

On 8/14/06, Collin Winter <collinw at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/14/06, Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
> > There are three issues: first, we need to RESERVE the types for
> > standardization by Guido and crew.
>
> You're just pushing the decision off to someone else. Regardless of
> who makes it, decisions involving the built-in types are going to make
> some group unhappy.

Yes, I know. I spent about a month of my life going through the same process
back around 2003.

> Second, we can decide to do the standardization at any point.
>
> Um, "at any point"? You mean it's conceivable that this
> standardisation could come *after* Python ships with function
> annotations?

Sure. Why not?

All I'm saying is that the "function annotations" PEP should not depend on
the "function annotations for static type declarations" PEP. That was
implicit in your original pre-PEP!

If the "static type declarations PEP" misses the Python 3000 deadline then
the function annotations feature is still valuable. The former could be used
as a testbed for the latter:

def myfunc( NumTuples: [typepackage1(tuple(Number)),
                       typepackage2("tuple(Number+))"]):...

 Paul Prescod