[Python-3000] Add a standard GUI system

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Apr 28 19:11:15 CEST 2006

> Python already comes with a standard GUI toolkit; tk.

With a decidedly unpythonic bad interface.  And it's not standard; I
frequently find Python installations where no one has installed Tk.
Pardon me for being blunt:  Tkinter is a half-assed "solution" that's
set Python back for years.

>  Also, while I
> generally like Greg Ewing's work (Pyrex has saved me so much brain power
> interfacing with C extensions), PyGUI doesn't have nearly the market
> penetration (into the Python GUI toolkit area) to justify its inclusion
> into the python standard library.

Doesn't matter.  Putting it into the stdlib will solve the penetration
problem.

> Also, it would require shipping a Python GTK binding, which would
> basically necessitate shipping GTK+ with Python.

No, it wouldn't.  It runs natively on Mac OS X, and could be made to
do on Windows.  I'd suggest using the existing GTK+ binding for Linux,
and only in the interim for Windows.  I certainly wouldn't ship GTK+
with Python, or wxWindows either.  As I suggested, I think that it
would be a good idea to do a PyGUI port to a lower-level system, such
as cairo, for more generic use.  I wouldn't object to shipping cairo
to those few systems where it won't be pre-installed.

> it's market penetration (into the Python GUI toolkit area)
> is growing steadily

Pointless consideration.  Tkinter has a great penetration, but it's a
bad solution.

Bill