[Python-3000] Type Expressions

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Apr 21 20:12:45 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, Talin <talin at acm.org> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum <guido <at> python.org> writes:
>
> > To prevent more abominations like this, let me pronounce that I now
> > like the single-star syntax:
> >
> >   def foo(a, b, *, x=1, y=2): ...
>
> Thank you :) It was getting pretty strange there.
>
> The variation that I was thinking of was a little shorter, but not
> necessarily better:
>
>    def foo( a, b; x=1, y=2 ): ...

That cropped up in my head too long ago. I think I've seen something
like this in another language. (Perl? VB?) But it reverses the
priority of ';' and that's not very nice.

> BTW I still haven't given up on working on an implementation for
> keywords after *args, but it's been going rather slowly due to lack
> of time to sit down and focus.

Just wait for the weekend. :-)

> I know you want implementations rather than PEPs at this point,
> but if there is a consensus on both the "keywords after *args" and
> "keyword only" arguments, I can write up a PEP for that, if that
> would be useful.

Consensus is a big word, but I'd be happy to see a PEP that explains
the currently best proposals and clarifies any gray areas that the
informal proposals might have.