[Python-3000] parameter lists [was: Type Expressions]

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Apr 21 02:48:33 CEST 2006

Jim Jewett wrote:

> I also see the value of keyword-only arguments without unlimited
> positional arguments.  Whether it deserves syntax and what that syntax
> should be (such as * or *None)  may need a pronouncement eventually,
> but it doesn't have to be complex.

My previous post was just wild brainstorming. I'd be
perfectly happy with

   def f(a, b, *, c, d = x):
     # c and d are keyword only, c is required,
     # no extra positional args allowed

I don't buy the argument that bare * should mean "extra
positional args ignored", since there's already a way of
saying that:

   def f(a, b, *others):
     # and then don't bother doing anything with others

As shown above, I don't see any extra difficulty there.

--
Greg