[Python-3000] Changing the import machinery

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 20 10:44:23 CEST 2006

I'm changing the list and the subject, pulling this quote out of python-dev:

On 4/20/06, in python-dev, Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> I was hoping that for Python 3.0, we could get around to unkludge the
> sys.path/meta_path/path_hooks/path_importer_cache big ball of hacks,
> possibly by replacing sys.path with something a bit more intelligent than
> a plain list.

That's an excellent idea. Are there any volunteers here to help out?
Even just listing specific use cases / scenarios that are currently
difficult to solve right would be tremendously helpful. (I think that
Phillip's and others' experience with setuptools might be very
useful.)