[Python-3000] GIL

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Apr 20 00:44:22 CEST 2006

On 4/19/06, Luis P Caamano <lcaamano at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that python-3000 is more about language issues than CPython
> issues.  Still, I'll ask the question just to nip it in the bud early:
>
> Any possibility of working on the CPython GIL and MP problems in python-3000?
>
> The reason I ask is because most solutions might involve
> incompatibilities with C extensions that rely on the GIL and since
> python 3000 is not promising any backward compatibility, then it seems
> this might be a good opportunity to tackle that issue too.
>
> I'm not proposing any solution, just trying to figure out whether it's
> a valid issue or not.

I just know this is going to fall under Guido's "code first, then we
consider" rule.  The GIL is not currently going to go anywhere without
a thorough rearchitecture of the interpreter and that is not planned
for Python 3000.  Plus most people here, based on the last time this
came up, did not feel like the GIL was that big of a problem.  A good
IPC/RPC mechanism would be much more appreciated.

-Brett