[Python-3000] symbols?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Apr 16 07:18:55 CEST 2006

Adam DePrince wrote:

> IIRC one of the goals
> with P3K is to allow Python to compile unicode source files ...

> Personally, I rather like the direction of the symbols idea, but am
> unsure if I like the :symbol form for the literal.  I give it a +0.5.

Putting these thoughts together, we could use
different alphabets to distinguish symbols from
other identifers. For example, ordinary names --
Roman and Greek; symbols -- Cyrillic, Hebrew and
Arabic, possibly others.

A single lambda, of course, would be reserved for
replacing the keyword "lambda", thus making lambda
expressions more concise and freeing up a word for
use as a name.

--
Greg