[Python-3000] Will we have a true restricted exec environment for python-3000?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 12:01:17 CEST 2006

Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 09/04/06 Bill Janssen said:
>
>> I'm very interested in this, too.  There are two things that force me
>> into writing Java code instead of Python code, and they are:
>>
>> 1)  The Java plug-in for Web browsers, and
>>
>> 2)  The integrated portable fairly capable Swing GUI.
>
> And 2 + the JRE and jar files ease distribution of apps, something else that
> Python needs to address.

Python eggs and easy_install seem to have that problem well in hand, so that's
not as big of an issue.

Figuring out how to build a sandbox that is:
   a) actually secure
   b) usable for the application author
   c) usable for the plugin writer
   d) portable to at least Windows, Linux, Solaris, *BSD and Mac OS X

is significantly trickier, because current solutions all fail one or more of
those 4 criteria, and it isn't clear which (if any) would make an appropriate
starting point for doing it right.

Cheers,
Nick.