[Python-3000] String formating operations in python 3k

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Apr 4 21:14:34 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 14:28 +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:

> If we're going to encourage use of named arguments
> (which I think we should) I think we also need to
> get rid of the need for %(foo)s constructs, which
> are extremely error-prone and hard to read.

In general, I agree.

> I'm -0.7 on having two different formatting
> styles (one using % and the other using $) with
> partially-overlapping functionality. In Py3k
> there should be OOWTDI.

Except that there really are two things going on here.  One is
formatting and the other is insertion.  I agree it's awkward to have two
styles, but I would really hate to complicate the latter to support the
former.  Maybe those who are advocating moving away from in-place
substitution as the mechanism for formatting have the right idea.

> I'm also not all that keen on $, either inside
> or outside the string. It seems to me that
> something like
>
>    "User {user} has printed {n} pages"
>
> sets off the parameters from the rest of the
> string more readably than
>
>    "User $user has printed $n pages"

Here i disagree.  $-strings are so familiar to people coming from other
languages that they instantly "get it".

-Barry